See Baby Discriminate By Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
Your class assignment today is to read the Newsweek article, See Baby Discriminate. Only read the first 3 1/2 pages. (Stop after this sentence- 'It's possible that by third grade, when parents usually recognize it's safe to start talking a little about race, the developmental window has already been closed.')
This article fits into the nature/nurture debate of chapter 3. After reading the article, answer the following questions...(Directions on how to respond are below the questions)
Value: 10 points total
1. Identify Birgitte Vittrup's 3 methods to test the multicultural home environments of the families in the study. What were the results?
2. What do child development researchers say about 'in-group preferences?'
3. What is Rebecca Bigler's recommended age for talking to children about race?
4. Answer this question from the article... "We all want out children to be unintimidated by differences and have the social skills necessary for a diverse world. The questions is, do we make it worse, or do we make it better, by calling attention to race?"
5. How does this article fit into the nurture side of the debate from chapter 3? In general, do you agree or disagree with the content? Explain.
1. Click on the comments link at the bottom of the page.
2. Type your answers into the box provided. Be sure to number your answers. (You might want to open a 2nd window in your browser so you can see both the article and your answers)
3. Click the name/url option. Where it says name type your first name and last initial.
4. Click publish. Your response should automatically appear on the site.