Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Sophs- New England Colonies
Choose a partner. Both will research one of the assigned topics below. Look through websites to find information on your topic. Rewrite the information in your own words. Do not copy or paste directly from web sites. Look for information that is original, interesting, or still relevant today.
List your sources (you must visit at least 3 different sites.) Do not use wikipedia as a listed source.
Post your information to this blog in your class color below. Everyone in the class will read your information posted. The length of should be 15-20 lines in "note form." You may use bullet points to organize your information.
Finally, write your first names at the end of your comment. Your group's comments should be posted by the end of the day on Friday.
1. Puritans and divine providence- define and give specific examples, look up early history of Providence, RI
2. William Bradford- brief biography, his wife's fate, Of Plymouth Plantation
3. Puritan education- free public schools, Harvard University
4. Squanto and the first Thanksgiving
5. Puritan family life- the role of the husband, wife and children
6. Jonathan Edwards- brief biography, the Great Awakening, Sinners in the Hands of an
7. Salem Witch Trials- brief summary of the events
8. Legacy of the Puritans in America today- how does the Puritan belief system still influence America? Blue laws, define and give examples
9. John Winthrop- brief bio, "city upon a hill" idea, "city upon a hill" used in other speeches, manifest destiny
10. Dissenters in the Puritan colonies- especially Roger Williams, Thomas Hooker, Anne Hutchinson
11. Failure and end of Puritanism- explain and give examples of reasons why this happened
12. Pilgrims- describe, importance of Mayflower Compact
13. Early difficulties of Plymouth colony